Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Snow and Ice

It has been so long since I posted, I hardly know where to start. So I am just going to start with today (and yesterday).
Yesterday (Monday) they predicted freezing rain and snow, so I didn't go to work. I now have a job helping a sweet lady who has dementia caused by strokes. Anyway, it was so good to have a day off. Ryan was off for President's Day. They would not have had school if he didn't have the day off. We had freezing rain in the afternoon. Mark's work closed early, it took a long time for him to get home. He said it was very bad.
I hardly did anything the whole day. That morning I put a ham in the oven on low temp. to bake all day. That evening I fixed potato salad and peas, and we had that for supper. It was so yummy. Ryan even went back later for another plate. I love when he does that. He is so skinny he could use some extra weight. Last night I went to bed @10:30 (I think).
This morning I woke to the noise of Mark getting ready to go to work. It was 8:30. Mark was going in a little late to see if the roads would be better. We didn't know if he would be able to get up our cul-de-sac hill. He let the car run a long time and scraped the ice off everything.
There was not a lot of snow, but there was ice everywhere. You can see ice hanging from the gutter of the porch roof.
I don't know how cold it got last night, but this morning the "feel like" temp. is 10 degrees. It is bitterly cold.
Mark made it fine driving to work. His tires spun as he drove up the hill, and he said our subdivision was a sheet of ice. But, the main roads were treated.
After Mark left I fixed Ryan turkey bacon for breakfast, and I ate apple and peanut butter. Then Ryan went to take Zoe out and feed her, and start his truck. I stayed inside and ironed eight shirts for Mark to wear to work.
I had to take breaks because it hurts my back to stand that long. I think it took me an hour and a half. So thankful to get that accomplished.
Ryan came back inside and told me he tried to scrap some of the driveway, but it was solid ice. We had planned to get it cleaned off today, but I guess that will have to wait. We ate lunch around 12PM. It was just leftovers from last night but it tasted better today. :)
After lunch Ryan cleaned the top ledge of the front bathroom shower and took out the old caulking. Then he put new caulking on it. I scrubbed all the spots on the white clothes so I could wash them. I wear white shirts under everything. I have the palest face and for some reason the white next to my face makes me look like I have a bit of color. When I wash a load of whites, I have to scrub the neck of just about all of the white shirts I wear because they have make-up on them. It takes a long time. I got all of it taken care of, but when I sent Ryan downstairs to put a load in to wash, there was a load in the washer and dryer. I had him take care of the washing and I baked cookies for him.

Around 4PM I decided I was going to take a little nap. I laid down on the couch with my tablet. I read the Bible and then looked at instagram. Then Mark called and said he was leaving work in a little bit. I thought there was no way I was going to be able to settle down. I think I did doze a few seconds right before Mark came home. I have felt so tired today. I don't know why.
I started supper around 5:30PM. Tonight I fixed pizza for supper. It takes so long for me to fix it. I cooked a pound of bacon and some sausage. I used a gluten free crust.


I think it was after 6:30 when I finally got supper ready. It was worth it though. We all loved it. Since I washed dishes while the pizza was baking, I hardly have anything to do to finish cleaning the kitchen. I can just relax tonight. :)
They have already called off school for Ryan tomorrow. Dennis (the man I work for--taking care of his wife) told me he is going to be home all week, so I can be off if I need to be. So I am not planning to work. They are expecting another inch of snow on top of the ice we have tomorrow morning. It is supposed to be 17* tonight, so it will only be worse. I hope I can sleep in a little bit again tomorrow.
I am so thankful for a good day. I am thankful Mark made it to work and back without any problems. I am thankful my family made it safely as well.  And finally, I am truly thankful we have not lost power during these cold, icy days. I pray you all are safe and blessed tonight and tomorrow. Till next time.


2 comments:

  1. yay! i'm glad you blogged! i hate the ice--we haven't had any this winter because its been soooo cold--we've just had lots of snow--105 inches at my last estimate :) glad everyone was safe--yeah, the power going out is a biggie in an ice storm--even up here not everyone has a backup heat source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 105 inches is a lot of snow! I cannot imagine. It's a good thing you all don't have ice. It would take forever to thaw. I still would love to live there. It is so beautiful!!

      Delete